THE TOEFL® INSTITUTIONAL TESTING PROGRAM (TOEFL® ITP)
The TOEFL ITP® Assessment Series offers colleges and universities, English language learning programs and other organizations the opportunity to administer the format of the paper based test with a convenient, affordable and reliable assessment of English-language skills on their own facilities and staff.
The TOEFL ITP tests can be used for placement, progress, evaluation, exit testing and other situations. By using the TOEFL ITP tests in your classroom, you can keep your students on track and have confidence in their real-world abilities.
At present more than 2,500 schools, colleges, universities, and private agencies worldwide in 50+ countries participate in the TOEFL ITP test. Indonesian International Education Foundation (IIEF) is the Country Master Distribution of ETS for TOEFL ITP in Indonesia, and administers ITP to more than 250 institutions in Indonesia. We invite you to join the ranks of institutions that have benefited from using the ITP through IIEF's services.
Based on the Power of the TOEFL® Test
When you use the TOEFL ITP assessments, you put the power of the TOEFL® test to work in your classroom. The TOEFL ITP assessments share the same rich heritage as the TOEFL test — the world's most widely accepted and respected English-language assessment.
The two tests are used for separate purposes and administered differently. The TOEFL iBT test is a high-stakes exam administered by ETS. Institutions use TOEFL test scores to make high-stakes decisions, such as student admissions. TOEFL ITP tests are administered by institutions or our ETS preferred network office.
What is TOEFL-ITP for?
The ITP test is designed to be a measure of English Language proficiency, not of academic aptitude. Use of ITP scores to predict academic performance is inappropriate. Each institution that requires TOEFL scores determines for itself what scores, or ranges of scores, are acceptable. These requirements vary from institution to institution.
The TOEFL ITP scores should NOT be used for college or university admission or other high-stakes purposes, nor be used in place of the the TOEFL iBT® test. The TOEFL ITP® tests measure core English skills using 100 percent academic content similar to what is used in actual classroom tasks. Users of the TOEFL ITP tests are strongly encouraged to carefully explore the most appropriate use of the tests in their instructional context. This makes the tests an essential tool for:
- Placement in intensive English-language programs requiring academic English proficiency at a college or graduate level.
- Progress monitoring in English-language programs stressing academic English proficiency.
- Exiting English-language programs by demonstrating proficiency in English listening and reading.
- Admissions to short-term, non-degree programs in English-speaking countries where the sending and receiving institutions agree to use TOEFL ITP scores.
- Admissions to undergraduate and graduate degree programs in non-English speaking countries where English is not the dominant form of instruction.
- Admissions and placement in collaborative international degree programs where English-language training will be a feature of the program.
- Scholarship programs, as contributing documentation for academic English proficiency.
Each institution that requires TOEFL scores determines for itself what scores, or ranges of scores, are acceptable. These requirements vary from institution to institution.
TOEFL® ITP Users
Institutions which have benefited from using the ITP are:
- English Language Centers
- Training centers in private companies or government office
- Universities & Schools
- Government Agencies
- Educational Advising Centers
- Scholarship Providers
Why Is TOEFL ITP the Ideal Choice for Your Program?
TOEFL ITP is the leading on-site testing program in the world. Every year, more than 2,500 institutions and agencies from around the globe administer 800,000+ ITP tests. TOEFL ITP is ideal for your program because it is:
- International Standardized
- Reliable, the most trusted English-language assessment in the world.
- An accurate predictor of performance on the secure TOEFL test.
- Based on research
- Available on demand. YOU choose your test date.
- Convenient. You use your own facilities and staff to administer the test and return the materials to IIEF for accurate scoring.
- Flexible, containing multiple test forms, allowing you to test throughout the year.
- Quick to deliver scores, doing so approximately three to seven days after score sheets are received.
- Helpful in determining academic readiness and development needs.
- Motivational for students wishing to improve their English proficiency.
The TOEFL ITP® tests are paper-based and use 100 percent academic content to evaluate the English-language proficiency of nonnative English speakers, giving you confidence about your students' ability in a real-world academic setting. All questions are multiple choice and students answer questions by filling in an answer sheet. The tests evaluate skills in three areas:
- Listening Comprehension measures the ability to understand spoken English as it is used in colleges and universities
- Structure and Written Expression measures recognition of selected structural and grammatical points in standard written English
- Reading Comprehension measures the ability to read and understand academic reading material in English
The TOEFL ITP offers two tests - the TOEFL ITP level 1 and th TOEFL ITP Level 2. The TOEFL ITP Level 1 test, evaluates the knowledge of English at the intermediate and advanced levels, while the TOEFL ITP Level 2, measures the language skills at the high beginning level to the intermediate level.
|The TOEFL® ITP Test at a Glance||TOEFL ITP||TOEFL ITP|
|Level 2||Level 1|
|Converted Score Range|
|Structure and Written Expression||20-50||31-68|
|Total Score :||200-500||310-677|
|Number of Questions|
|Structure and Written Expression||25||40|